History

SWES signEstablished in 1959, the SWROC was originally known as the Southwest Experiment Station (SWES). The SWES was renamed the Southwest Research and Outreach Center (SWROC) in 1999. Our center was established to address the strong need for research on crop production and adaptation in southwestern Minnesota.

The Minnesota Legislature appropriated funds for locating and purchasing a site in southwestern Minnesota for an experiment station in 1957. The station was designated to be of primary service to the 14 southwestern counties: Brown, Cottonwood, Jackson, Lincoln, Lyon, Martin, Murray, Nobles, Pipestone, Redwood, Renville, Rock, Watonwan and Yellow Medicine.

In 1959, a 240-acre farm just west of Lamberton, very near the geographical center of the designated 14-county area, was purchased. The SWROC is one of the few experiment stations ever located where it is specifically because of soil type—the station’s Clarion-Nicollet-Webster soil type is characteristic of approximately 60 percent of the cropland in the area served.

1964 field day

Our primary responsibility, as outlined by the legislature, was to work on crops and areas relating to their production in southwestern Minnesota. Accordingly so, soils, agronomy, entomology, and plant pathology became the core focus of our research and education programs.

As the station expanded over the years, so did our mission and research activities. Our named changed to the Southwest Research and Outreach Center in 1999 to better represent all we do. Today, we still focus on crop production issues common to southwestern Minnesota, but we also have embraced environmental and social issues and have expanded our outreach programs.