Pest Management Tips & Resources
Soybean Gall Midge
- Soybean gall midge in Minnesota soybean (print-friendly pdf)
- Soybean gall midge in Minnesota soybean (online version)
European Corn Borer
Bt corn with traits conferring resistance to corn rootworms offer growers a simple, seed-based solution to managing corn rootworms. These traits are far more effective than soil insecticides or seed treatments in protecting corn roots. Corn rootworms have developed resistance to many control tactics over the last 50 years including crop rotation, soil insecticides, and foliar insecticides.
- Scouting for corn rootworm
- Reducing Bt corn acreage to cut production costs
- Handy Bt Trait Table (from Texas A & M)
- Should I reduce the Bt trait acreage in the 2017 corn crop to cut production costs? (Minnesota Crop News)
Two-Spotted Spider Mites
Prolonged drought raises the threat of two-spotted spider mite (Tetranychus urticae) outbreaks in soybeans and corn. Spider mite outbreaks are rare but have occurred more frequently in recent years (1988, 2007, 2009 and 2010). Farmers and their crop management advisors may want to read these resources from University of Minnesota Extension:
University of Minnesota Resources
- Applied Weed Science Research
- Department of Agronomy and Plant Genetics
- Department of Entomology
- Department of Plant Pathology
- Plant Disease Clinic - Multi-disciplinary diagnostic laboratory that provides testing for: fungal, bacterial, viral, and other plant health conditions for commercial growers and the general public.
- VegEdge and FruitEdge - Sites dedicated to providing IPM information on all aspects of vegetable and fruit production in the Midwest.
General Pest Management
- Northern Plains IPM Guide - This guide provides current effective management options for insect and other pests and for plant pathogens affecting all major field crops grown in North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, and Kansas. Specific sections are dedicated to soybeans, corn, and home and garden pests.
- Handy Bt-Trait Table - This table, from Michigan State University, can help producers avoid herbicide selection mistakes and surprises from non-covered insects.
- Insect Resistance Management Refuge Calculator - National Corn Growers Association joined forces with agribuisness to develop this next-generation tool that assists farmers in developing the right plan for refuge compliance.
On-Farm Research Guide
- U of MN Extension On-Farm Research Guide - developed by Bruce Potter and Paulo Pagliari